- Job Description -
Under direction of the Kennel Manager, provides for the constant cleanliness of cages, runs and ward areas and the proper feeding and care of all hospitalized animals.
• Cleans and sanitizes all cages, runs, wards and related areas
• Gives baths (ordinary cleansing, flea, medicated) and performs whatever grooming may be necessary to the treatment and constant cleanliness of each animal
• Recognizes and records any unusual condition or abnormal behavior of any hospitalized animal; observes animals recovering from anesthesia
• Feeds each animal as prescribed by the attending D.V.M. and records appetites; keeps kitchen area clean and neat
• Receives animals to be admitted for hospital care and is responsible for their proper identification and for recording their respective locations
• Releases animals to their owners as directed by the attending doctor and office manager and insures that every animal released is clean and properly groomed
• Assists doctors, nurses, treatment assistants and other personnel with the administration of medications or with restraint
• Other duties assigned as required
Knowledge of: Cleaning and disinfecting methods and the use and care of cleaning materials and equipment
Proper methods of animal restraint
Ability to: Use cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency
Perform moderately heavy physical labor
Sympathetically and patiently treat sick and injured animals
Learn to administer medications and recognize abnormal conditions
Understand and carry out oral and written directions
Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Education: Equivalent to completion of 12th grade
Knowledge of: Basic pharmacology; supplemental courses in the field of Biological Science, Anatomy, and Physiology, Nursing, Medical Assisting or Veterinary Technology
Experience: Previous experience in a veterinary hospital or related medical field
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to bend, stand, stoop, walk, sit, talk, and listen; may be required to walk or stand for long periods of time; will use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; will reach with hands and arms. The employee is often required to lift and carry materials weighing fifty pounds or more; handle dogs weighing up to 150 lbs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases.
To Apply for this Job
Click the "Apply Now" button to send us an email. Please attach a copy of your resume.